Looking for a fast and easy way to spruce up a holiday table, mantlepiece, or even your front porch this winter? Repurpose some old canning jars for a bright and natural decorating solution. To increase visual interest, try making a few of these creative votives in different sizes, for an eye-catching – and dead simple – winter project.
- Mason jars of any size, scrubbed clean
- Greenery of your choice, trimmed to fit in jar
- Whole, fresh cranberries
- Floating candles
- Make sure mason jars are thoroughly cleaned, and trim your seasonal greenery to fit inside. Arrange the greenery in the jar, and drop in a handful of cranberries.
- Slowly fill the jar with water, allowing the cranberries to float up.
- Place a floating candle in the centre for a festive centrepiece or mantle decoration.
Depending upon the effect you’re looking for, switch up the types of leafy boughs you use in your jars. Sprigs of holly leaves, cedar, or pine work equally well. Boxwood is another excellent option.
Photo: Darin House via Flickr