Once the excitement of Christmas morning has died down, try relaxing with a cup of this full-flavoured take on a traditional hot cocoa. The hint of sweetness balances the cocoa powder, making it a great warming treat for kids to enjoy as they wait for dinner, and its minimal prep time means that you can whip up f our mugs in little more than a few minutes.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water.
- Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t scorch.
- Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil!
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.
Liven up the presentation of your mugs of cocoa with some whipped cream, shaved chocolate, or peppermint candies. Or, if you’re feeling industrious, try your hand at homemade marshmallows, that can be flavoured, gifted, or used as a tasty garnish for warm drinks like these.
Photo: Masatoshi via Flickr