Searching for the perfect accompaniment to your upcoming holiday cocktail party? Need something flavourful to stave off hunger before dinner? These sweet and spicy nuts are a great option. We’ve used cashews and almonds, but it’s simple to substitute other types to suit your taste.
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups raw almonds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees (F), and coat a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar with the salt, chili powder, cinnamon and cayenne.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg white until frothy. Add the nuts and spiced sugar, and toss together.
- Spread out the nuts on the prepared baking sheet and bake for around 45 minutes. Be sure to stir the nuts at least once.
- Remove when nuts are browned, and let them cool on the baking sheet.
These nuts make for a good make-ahead addition to a holiday cocktail party or, if festively packaged, an appropriate gift for stockings or hosts.