It’s not hard to throw this party appetizer together in a hurry, using purchased olives from your grocery’s deli section, and some common spices and citrus. Serve these up with any assortment of before-dinner snacks – they’ll fit in with just about any festive selection.
- 2 cups assorted unpitted olives, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 thin orange slices
- 3 thin lemon slices
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary
- Red-pepper flakes
- In a medium saucepan, combine olives, olive oil, orange slices, lemon slices, and fresh thyme. Season to taste with red-pepper flakes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer olives, fruit, and herbs to a serving dish; reserve oil for another use.
To store, let cool and refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.
Photo: Steve Jurvetson via Flickr